Tuesday, June 28, 2005

On death and dying...

This is one of the most unexpected topics I'm writing after a series of tags...Even I didnt expect to write this for a couple of hours ago I was working on another...How it struck me is a story by itself...
I was in the middle of a novel, about to fall eagerly into the arms of Somnus, who was enticing me into an aftenoon nap when my mom asked me to send an important mail...Quickly shaking off the sleeping-sand from my eye-lids, I sent the mail and was about to log off when I saw my friend online...It had been nearly a month since we spoke,but we did manage to keep in touch through scraps..Their family had hosted us in Srilanka and they've been our family friends for more than 30 years....So I began chattering a dozen to one(my usual style) and chided her playfully for having been dormant so long...It was then the shattering truth came out, her father was dead! It was like a blow,painful and sudden, I felt hot tears stinging my eyes...For a second I thought(wistful thinking)she was joking...But sadly this is not a matter that one talks about so lightly and I had to face it, he was gone...That one moment bringing back to my mind some dark moments tucked away in my mind,never to be erased...
Death or dying strictly stuck on to the screens in my life for a long time..As a child, I believed that the people who died would just get back to life the very next day(as in movies) and later I believed that they would join the numerous stars in the velvet sky..It was only when I was 13 and my great gran passed away that I felt the pain, the huge void in my heart,in the place where I had placed her..It was quite sudden and my mom kept telling me that she had died a peaceful death without having had to endure too much pain...But for me, it seemed impossible for my life to move along without having her with me...She meant alot to me and it took me years to accept the fact that she was gone....
Then I lost my best friend within a year..Nalini and I were more than friends, we were what they say "twin souls"..It was like replaying the incident all over...A friend calling up one night telling me that she was badly injured in an accident and within a few minutes a call saying that she was dead..It was way too sudden and I was too shocked to react...She was too young to die and I kept wishing that night that someone would call me the next day and would call it a joke and that we could laughter over it together...It never happened....
The tragedy is not death of the person but the death of something in you..When a person means alot to us, they become a part of us...So in their going away, we mourn not only for their departure but for the part in us that has gone away with them...Sometimes it takes so long for people to get over and accept the fact that they could never again come home to see their loved one's face, share a hug, hear their voice or even think about them without feeling the pain...The last moments we spent with them stand in perpetuum somewhere in us...
I remember vividly the time in Colombo when we were playing in the lawns making as much noise as possible and Gemunu uncle watching us with his wife and my parents, everyone laughing at our antics...and the last phone call Nalini made, with both of us giggling over some private joke and discussing about the colour of her prom dress...and the last song I sang to my great-gran the day before she left to the hospital and her smile...some pictures that were painted with a mixture of love,laughter,tears, sunshine, emotions that were too strong,some subtle..with so many things that we just cant describe but these pictures would be wtched in my heart forever,along with many memories....I dont know still what death is and I may not till I die...But all I know is, death is never really the end...In death, we all are born again..in someone's heart as a memory...like an old melody that still floats in the breeze, never to fade away completely....not truely there but always remembered...

9 comments:

Lazy Lavender said...

Aey.....I feel the same....I don't know what to say....But it did remind me of the happenings in my life....Wish I hadn't read it....Your feelings are well expressed

Thrivikraman said...

i am sorry for u asha... death r indeed sorrowfull things.. painfull, but yet they r part and parcelof life... we hafta see lots of them... and learn to live with them ! What all had come has to go one time... we too, but we shld try to leave atleast a few who will think of us after we leave this world... as we did for someone !

Vejay Sarathy said...

Ohh asha.. ur way of expressing thing was so good.. and the last lines i read really 'pullu arichhufyed'..
I'm almost into tears now.. after reading ur blog.. really sorry for him.. :(

Karthik Sankar said...

We do take everything for granted until the ice cold hand of death does its "abracadabra"...I do not knoe for sure whether death is an end or not...but it is true that death actually grants immortality to a person when he/she is finally judged...people never forget to judge and people never forget the judgement also...forever!!!!

Heidi Kris said...

very nice one.

And yes i can feel the pain...

Anonymous said...

Since thou's vetti days are over no more blogging eh? wish to see u write again

Anonymous said...

well written dudette...

Leon said...

The death of friends with whom you've spent time together is always eerie and leaves you with memories for the rest of your life.. sigh..

Arvind said...

mm .. nice one ! ..

i read a book .. five people you meet in heaven.. i am not sure if you've read it . it has a very new concept of heaven .. acc to him heaven is some place where in you are shown wat you did in your life .. thats that .. you may repent or not .. its up to you .. its a video .. of every heart you touched .. every heart you broke .. and every soul you enlightened ..
acc. to him in heaven you meet a set of ppl who have affected you the most .. directly or indirectly ..death shud not be seen as the end of life .. its just a part of it :-) .. the learning part :-) where you get the feed back i guess :-D

the book is a very good read ..
.. and yours was too ! :-)

good post !