Monday, June 20, 2005

Peaceful-the effect

If you were wondering right now whether I am alluding to guitarist Prassana's album, I would answer a yes and a no to your unvoiced question..The album was definitely enchanting especially Culture of Silence and Peaceful-the effect. But then, if you are thinking that I'm going to go any deeper, think again..
Its been pretty long since I woke up in the morning so refreshed, with the wind whistling and painting numerous ripples in the nearby pool of water and the sun hidden behind the clouds with a coy smile.... wait! this is getting a bit too poetic...Not that today dawned literally more beautiful than the rest, but it is just that I woke up in a fantastic mood...I can owe it to the well-rested night after yesterday's endless activities or the successful completion of the painting I began two years ago or even to my sister's thoughtful gesture of massaging my broken leg last night (though it was very painful!).. I guess I'll just lie back typing this and not search for answers...
I’ve found myself humming the lyrics of the famous song “enge nimathi..?” (Where can I find peace…Give me a place to live there?) half-jokingly many a time when I am kinda stressed out…But this is one topic I had enough time to ponder on the past few days…I have always associated rest with peace-which has proved to be totally wrong…So hoping to set myself right, I embarked on the journey for the quest of the ultimate sources of peace…and here I am sharing my ideas and my findings..
I started to first de-stress myself…This was pretty tough for I had to do two really hard things…discover my inner-most feelings that trouble me and get over them…worse still..learn to accept most things that I found unpalatable…I got into a great deal of trouble because of this(not worth mentioning..nah!)..Not that I have accomplished these two tasks to the fullest, but I still gave a solid try…Life, instead of clearing, became more and more muddled…but then again, if life was to be functioning logically how dull it would be..Deciding that I was barking the wrong tree and being typically me..I quit thinking about this and it slowly slipped out of my mind…
It was quite some days later…one night rather…while returning from somewhere(I don’t remember where really)..traveling along the highway, with the wind in my hair, the melodious strains of “Kakka Kakka” songs in the background and my sis cuddled against me in the car that I did start thinking about it again…for at that moment I felt very content(sleepy too) and peaceful…
Peace, as most of us think, is not a commodity…It cannot be bought or brought upon no matter how much we attempt to…It is something that is found in abundance, even in these days, and all we have to do is just to look around just to find that it has already found us…Where we find peace varies from person to person, time to time……
Then I did start listing out the times when I really felt peaceful…..the list was surprising very very long(and to imagine that I hadn’t known that before)..It oscillated between low-key stuff like family dinners, playing with my sister, reading a nice book, hanging out in the veranda after lunch break gossiping, sipping a glass of cold juice after a sports day practice session, writing a poem, laying in a hot afternoon or just gazing outside the window to really conspicuous activities like my class seminars, cultural meets, expensive vacations(ref to Sigiriya in my SL trip)…That was truly surprising coz I never knew that I had thoroughly enjoyed and relished so many moments in the past 18 years…
So..for all those people there, who are really stressed out, in tears, seeking release and relief , I say, don’t wait to remove your stress as it had to be done whenever you feel stressed…. Just drop all what you are doing for a couple of seconds…close your eyes…think of a loved one’s smile and bring one on your lips…hum your favorite tune and feel good….May peace descend in all our lives as subtle and as beautiful as the spring-time breeze or the gentle swish of the dove’s wings…

4 comments:

savi said...

hey asha.... nice one :)

Unknown said...

hey its so long.
I got lost searching peace here.

Nice post

Mystic said...

@ksk and idlli ideas

Guys u shud know that once I begin it takes alot for me to stop! :P

@Arch storm

Hez certainly better than the ppl who claim that they'd find peace only when they rest there(he he he);)

@papchu

thanks :)

Lazy Lavender said...

Hey Really nice one di....I accept the last para....Never try to de-stress oneself.....I too have tried it....But the best way, according to me,to get outta stress is sit down talk to a good frnd...n pour out everything u hav in ur mind....Thats what I do...:)